Mrs. Greene, at My Zero Waste, recently posted a list of other uses for coffee grinds created by the Impact and Sustainability manager of Cafedirect.. Here are some of them (I particularly like the cat repellent suggestion!):
- Eco Exfoliant - apply grounds and massage your skin; then rinse.
- Hair Rinse - use leftover coffee as a final hair rinse for dark hair for extra shine
- Slug Repellent - scatter coffee grounds around the base of plants to keep slugs away
- Cat Repellent - mix coffee grounds with orange and lemon peels and scatter in the garden where cats are a problem. They will hate the smell.
- Odor Control - use a bowl of grounds in the freezer to soak up bad smells; rub coffee grounds on your hands after cutting up onions and garlic to neutralize the odor
- Furniture Care - remove small scratches on furniture with wet coffee grounds
- Grow Mushrooms - moist used coffee grounds can be used as a medium for home-grown mushrooms
- Ant Deterrent - apparently the critters won't cross a line of coffee grounds
- Potted Plant Food - add a little coffee grounds to indoor plants to increase acidity of the potting soil. Just don't over do it.
Any additions to the list? Please share.